Alaa Al Aswany’s Favorite Writers
Question: Who were the early influences on your craft?
al Aswany: Well, it’s a garden full of flowers, you see, because I had a very early French education. I learned French and Arabic in the same day, and I was raised in a French school, so we had all the great French writers. We did study this very early, and also I had a very strong influence by the Arab writers through my father, then there are also the big, the masters of the Russian literature who influenced me really very, very, very strongly. They had a very strong influence on me, like a Fyodor Dostoevsky, Leo Tolstoy, Anton Chekhov, who was a physician, by the way, and I had, I also learned Spanish, so I read in Spanish, and I have all these great Latin American writers, like Gabriel Garcia, especially Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Isabel Allende, Borges, and many others. [I] had a very strong influence on me, especially by Ernest Hemingway, Edgar Allan Poe and Ernest Hemingway, but especially Ernest Hemingway. I think, and I learned through the style of Hemingway how to write what is really necessary, what to say, exactly what you want to say, not less and not more.
Young Alaa As Aswany’s "garden full of flowers" had Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Marquez and Hemingway growing in it.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.