A Global View of Human Nature
Question: How has your view of human nature changed?
Pitzer: I have a much broader view of human nature now because I’ve seen and I’ve met, and some level been, become friends with people who have killed and people have been “enemies of the Unites States” who are human just as I am. And we may have very different backgrounds and ideologies and views of the world, but there’s some basic level, and this is what you look for, this is the thing that you hope to find, the common ground between the them and the us, and that’s [what I go and] say. I think, you know, part of what you’re trying to do, although, there is no objectivity in journalism is to try to remove yourself or at least recognize your own biases and points of view. And when you say atrocity, try to look at it from every angle, because there are many people out there who have committed atrocities who believe they’re in a war. And before judging that good or bad, it’s important, I think, to look at it as from as many different sides as possible. They’re people who believe that United States is committing atrocities by bombing civilians. And before you judge that too, I think it’s important to sort of walk around it and try to see it from all sides.
Kurt Pitzer has met killers who have just as much humanity as he does.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.