A Boy and His Dog(s)
Augusten Burroughs: My French bulldogs--I have two of them. They are 6 and 7 years old. They are the Cow and Bentley and they’re great. They’re like my kids. I love them to death. Bentley unfortunately became paralyzed.
It was terrible and he had a grueling recovery and two surgeries, a relapse, but now he’s doing great and he’s able to run around like crazy like he always did although now he looks drunk so it looks as if I give my bulldog beer in the morning ‘cause he kind of wobbles, but they’re great. They’re wonderful, amazing dogs, the most affectionate breed I’ve ever known.
Question: Why French bulldogs?
Augusten Burroughs: I know a lot about dogs and the characteristics of the French bulldog seemed that they would suit my personality and my lifestyle. Of course, my two French bulldogs, these specific French bulldogs, are breed atypical so they’re crazy; they’re just absolutely-- They’re like Jack Russell terriers. They’re incredibly high energy and crazy and always demanding attention. They’re absolutely hilarious.
They’re everything to me. I just love them. I wish I had six. I’m trying to talk my partner, Dennis, in to letting me get one more and then maybe one more after that but they sleep in bed with me. I work in bed as I mentioned before. I work in bed on- with my laptop computer with both of the dogs right there glued to my legs.
One is on top of my legs and one is next and if I move positions then they move with me at all times. I am in physical contact with my two French bulldogs literally 24 hours a day. They sleep under the covers in the bed.
Recorded on: April 30, 2008.
Augusten Burroughs recalls a childhood friend, and his current French companions.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.