Is Now the Time to Talk Politics at Work?
Talking about politics in the office is stressing people out and hurting their productivity. Many discussions are erupting into full-blown arguments, and millennials are particularly likely to witness political escalations in the workplace.
Nearly a third of American workers say they are less productive at work after the American presidential election which landed Donald J. Trump in office. This according to a survey of 500 American workers conducted by Wakefield Research and workplace consultants Betterworks.
According to the Betterworks study:
There is also a generational aspect to be mindful of in this issue.
This confirms other research that was conducted before the 2016 election, such as a survey by the American Psychological Association (APA) titled Politics in the Workplace: 2016 Election Season.
According to the APA Study:
On a deeper level, all this serves as an interesting and underexplored way in which toxic politics can hurt businesses - by exasperating the workforce. For managers, this presents a particular dilemma because of the need to encourage a workforce that is both motivated and focused. Immediately after the election, some managers held debriefing sessions or sent emails to the entire staff stressing the need for respecting colleagues.
Betterworks provides a few tips for managers on how to navigate such circumstances:
At least he wasn't burned at the stake, right?
- The letter suggests Galileo censored himself a bit in order to fly more under the radar. It didn't work, though.
- The Royal Society Journal will publish the variants of the letters shortly, and scholars will begin to analyze the results.
- The letter was in obscurity for hundreds of years in Royal Society Library in London.
Scientists have developed new ways of understanding how the biological forces of death drive important life processes.
- Researchers have found new ways on how decomposing plants and animals contribute to the life cycle.
- After a freak mass herd death of 300 reindeer, scientists were able to study a wide range of the decomposition processes.
- Promoting the necrobiome research will open up new areas of inquiry and even commerce.
What do we see from watching birds move across the country?
- A total of eight billion birds migrate across the U.S. in the fall.
- The birds who migrate to the tropics fair better than the birds who winter in the U.S.
- Conservationists can arguably use these numbers to encourage the development of better habitats in the U.S., especially if temperatures begin to vary in the south.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.