While others struggle to combat the aging process, Dr. Leonard Guarente, director of MIT's Institute on Aging, seeks to understand it. A forty-year veteran of the university, he is best-known for discovering the gene that governs aging through his painstaking studies on yeast.
While his research suggests that eating fewer calories can extend human life, he also notes that general discontent that accompanies a restrictive diet may very well do more harm than good. Guarente believes that innovations in his field could soon extend life by up to 50 years, and he also offers tips on how to live longer now.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- There are 2 different approaches to governing free speech on college campuses.
- One is a morality/order approach. The other is a bottom-up approach.
Two new studies say yes. Unfortunately, each claims a different time.
- Both studies involved mice on treadmills and measured different markers to produce their results.
- Economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett breaks down what qualities will inspire others to believe in you.
- Here's how 300 leaders and 4,000 mid-level managers described someone with executive presence.
- Get more deep insights like these to power your career forward. Join Big Think Edge.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.