George Halvorson, the CEO of Kaiser Permanente, is one of the more outspoken critics on the current U.S. health care system. He came by Big Think last week to talk about what he envisions as the ideal plan: a universal system based entirely around the patient. In order for this new plan to be successful, Halvorson urges that we complete two consecutive steps: first, universal health care. Then, a new framework. In the mean time, he says, we could take a few hints from the Dutch.
Halvorson also explained the all-encompassing health care giant Kaiser and how it works. He walked us through their model, one that he lauds as efficient. According to Halvorson, it’s Kaiser’s use of technology that sets them apart. Where else can you communicate with all of your doctors via cyber appointments?
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.