When Bach Sounds Better UnAccompanied
Ethan Philbrick performs one of the first pieces of music ever written for solo cello, by J.S. Bach.
Ethan Philbrick grew up on Nantucket and has been playing music voraciously since he was 4 years old. Philbrick, who is currently completing graduate work in performance studies at NYU, has played music in a variety of contexts all over the world: from Latin America, to West Africa, to Europe, and Central Asia.
Philbrick's latest performance came during The Nantucket Project, a festival of ideas held on Nantucket, Massachusetts last month that featured heavyweights including Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Google, Larry Summers, Former Treasury Secretary and President of Harvard University and Hedge Fund Manager Eddie Lampert, among others.
At an event with a very forward-looking theme "Rethink," Philbrick chose to actually take a "glance back." He selected a piece to perform that is among the first pieces of music ever written for solo cello, by J.S. Bach.
Watch the video here:
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.