Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
Three scientists publish a paper proving that Mercury, not Venus, is the closest planet to Earth.
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbor must be planet two or four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Three scientists ran the numbers. In this YouTube video, one of them explains why our nearest neighbor is... Mercury!
The coin depicts a black hole and one of the late physicist's most important formulas.
- Stephen Hawking, cosmologist, theoretical physicist and popular science educator, died on March 14, 2018.
- The Royal Mint is celebrating his work and life with a collector's coin that's selling for 10 pounds.
- Hawking's younger son said he imagined his dad reacting to the news with "one of his huge, wide smiles."
- Time can change depending on how fast you're moving through space. Also, time can "flow" at different rates for different observers.
- Light doesn't experience time — it exists outside of time.
- We perceive space and time differently, but they may be woven together. For instance, they both balance each other out: If you are still, time goes by at a natural rate. However, if you move through space very fast, time begins to slow down.
Over 100 new pages of Einstein's writings, including long-lost calculations, have been made public.
- The Hebrew University makes public 110 new pages of Einstein's writings.
- Among the writings is a famously-missing page of calculations on the unified theory.
- Other papers by Einstein talk of politics and personal observations.