"Our findings are not good news," says Brendan Godley, of the University of Exeter.
Climate change is a dire threat, perhaps it is time to put the people who created and denied the problem on trial?
- A new essay published in Jacobin argues that the time has come to try the executives of oil companies for crimes against humanity as a result of their actions promoting climate change.
- There is a legal precedent, as the heads of several German companies were tired for such crimes after WWII.
- Even if it never comes to pass, discussing the idea could give us a sense of what steps to make the world a greener place are possible.
Experts say global warming is no longer some future worry. It's already here.
- President Trump and other politicians have routinely dismissed climate change as a hoax.
- Data from NASA and NOAA show 2018 was the fourth hottest year on record.
- Collectively, the last five years have represented the hottest in the 139-year record.
Despite tens of millions of dollars pouring into new technologies, a 'clean' burger remains elusive.
- Tens of millions of dollars are funding projects to create a consumer-ready lab-grown burger.
- Despite the hype, experts warn that a lot more research needs to be conducted.
- Mainstream adoption of plant-based foods, however, is making lab-grown meat a welcome possibility.
Who would've thought that never seeing blue sky would bum you out?
- China's economy is growing at 8 percent per year, but its citizens aren't getting any happier.
- New research from MIT analyzed 33 million posts from Sina Weibo (the Chinese version of Twitter) and compared their expressed happiness with local pollution levels.
- The study shows that high-pollution days are making Chinese civilians significantly less happy.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.