Humpbacks swap songs at remote group of islands in the South Pacific.
- A whale's song reflects its geographical and social history.
- A new study identifies for the first time a major migratory crossroads where whales meet.
- The discovery sheds light on the mystery of how whale songs evolve across the Pacific.
Girls tend to have more advanced language skills than boys, the researchers state.
How to deal with death in the digital age and save your loved ones from headache.
- Death brings new challenges as we must consider the likelihood that our digital presence will outlive us. Whether it's through social media or an online bank account, the majority of people lead a digital life that they'll leave behind.
- BJ Miller, assistant clinical professor of medicine at the University of California, suggests preparing to close out your digital life with steps like itemizing digital accounts and passwords.
- Miller also recommends including a spouse on any credit card accounts. These precautions will save loved ones major time and headache after you're gone.
Storytelling has been a human tradition for thousands of years and for good reason; it holds a powerful influence over our psychology.
- Some researchers argue that humans have been telling stories for tens of thousands of years.
- Because it's so deeply embedded in our psychology, the stories we tell about ourselves and others can have a major impact on our minds.
- How can we use storytelling to improve our lives?
To reach a breakthrough solution to any problem, it's necessary to first understand the underlying causes.
- Companies often jump right into workshopping solutions to a problem before they truly understand the underlying source and "pain points" of the issue.
- Deliberate Innovation CEO, Dan Seewald, advises companies to visualize and map out those unmet needs in order to discover a new path to a fresh solution. Only then should you move onto brainstorming and ideation techniques.
- These important steps allow for more meaningful experimentation, as well as greater opportunity for learning and breakthroughs.