Would God Create a World Full of Other Competing Gods?
The conflict between faiths is one good reason to doubt God’s existence.
What’s a seeker of Truth supposed to do with two competing facts that leave as much room for compromise, Sam Harris says, “as a coin toss?” The New Testament says Jesus is the actual, real son of God, and anyone who doesn’t believe that will spend eternity in Hell. The Koran says Jesus is not the son of God, and anyone who believes he is will spend eternity in Hell. (A Buddhist would consider the whole discussion odd.)
This, all by itself, is a good reason to wonder how plausible it is that there’s a God with a capital “G” in the first place.
Which makes more sense to you?
Option A: Different groups of people with a common need to explain life’s big questions came up with different religions in response. Simple.
Option B: One religion is perfect and right and all the others are wrong. This is what most people believe. They decide to believe one faith or another based on where they’re from, by “geographical accident.” What the? Harris notes this requires “a very sort of strange loving God who would have created this circumstance.” Why? Everyone born somewhere else is going to burn forever in Hell.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
The best-selling author tells us his methods.
- James Patterson has sold 300 million copies of his 130 books, making him one of the most successful authors alive today.
- He talks about how some writers can overdo it by adding too much research, or worse, straying from their outline for too long.
- James' latest book, The President is Missing, co-written with former President Bill Clinton, is out now.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
It's the first time the association hasn't hired a comedian in 16 years.
- The 2018 WHCA ended in controversy after comedian Michelle Wolf made jokes some considered to be offensive.
- The WHCA apologized for Wolf's jokes, though some journalists and many comedians backed the comedian and decried arguments in favor of limiting the types of speech permitted at the event.
- Ron Chernow, who penned a bestselling biography of Alexander Hamilton, will speak at next year's dinner.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.