Relativism or an absolute truth?
Do all sentient beings follow a certain objective progression of consciousness, or is it all chaos?
Are social animals just following a linear trend in a progressive system of psyche or did it occur randomly and through evolution? To me they seem to follow a trend.
How often do you hear of a socialist, liberal, humanist, et cetera converting to a "every man for yourself" social Darwinist? I think we acknowledge certain objective truths such as that other beings are sentient, and they could have thoughts, feelings, and reactions similar to our own. Even recently it's been found that bacteria have a complex inter- and intra- species communication network, leading to the new sensation of quorum-inhibiting antibiotic research.
I consider animals to have the most pragmatically built psyches that are very well tuned to their environment, but humans make their own environment. Is our sprawl of philosophical and sociology theories the result of true chaos in an isolated system or does sentience fly in the face of pragmatism? It's hard to say since progress in sentient beings would be individual, and a single individual can cause a lot of societal changes merely by writing his ideas down for someone else to read. Perhaps there are certain philosophical and sociological absolutes as defined by some cognitive process of sentient beings.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.