Queen Comes To Predictive Software
Radio listeners freaked out when Queen's six-minute magnum opus Bohemian Rhapsody debuted in the 1970s. Now the sprawling rock anthem is proving too much to handle for a new group of listeners.
Listening programs that try to classify songs based on their sound patterns have a tough time with Bohemian Rhapsody's storm of disparate musical sections, but an electrical engineer is finding a way to get around this little problem.
As you might imagine, it's difficult for software to tell whether a song is romantic, joyous or rebellious, so Barrington's solution was to build up a database for comparison.
However, the danger I fear is that combining the likes and dislikes of a lot of people will result in the same thing movie or music producers create when they try to appeal to everyone: mediocrity.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.