Elon Musk Announces New "Big F$cking Rocket" and Ambitious Mars and Moon Plans
SpaceX CEO Elon Musk announces plans for a new rocket that would completely revamp the current fleet.
In a talk at the International Astronautical Congress in Adelaide, Australia, Elon Musk, the CEO of SpaceX, presented his new plans for the future of space exploration. SpaceX will eventually replace its whole current fleet of spacecrafts that include the Falcon 9, the Falcon Heavy and the Dragon with just one new vehicle - the cheekily codenamed BFR (“Big Fucking Rocket”).
Musk explained that the company’s strategy for building “a system that cannibalizes our own products” and makes them “redundant” lies in freeing up resources from other vehicles towards the BFR.
“All our resources will turn toward building BFR,” Musk said. “And we believe we can do this with the revenue we receive from launching satellites and servicing the space station.”
The BFR, as part of its Interplanetary Transport System, will be the focus for Space X. It will have 31 main engines and be 48 meters long, producing a liftoff thrust of 5400 tons that lifts a total vehicle mass of 4400 tons. It would be able to house about a 100 people on a trip to Mars and have up to 40 cabins, along with a spacious payload area.
The BFR will make the company money for its loftier endeavors by launching satellites, transporting cargo to the ISS and helping with lunar missions as part of setting up a Moon base. This inclusion of the Moon may have connection to Musk’s contacts with the White House. Vice President Mike Pence, who is in charge of the National Space Council, expressed that the return to the Moon could be a possible new direction for the space program. Just recently, Russia and the U.S. agreed to cooperate on building the first lunar station.
How long will the new spacecraft take to build? Musk announced an “aspirational” timeline of launching first BFR cargo craft to Mars in 2022.
"That’s not a typo, although it is aspirational." half-joked Musk. ”I feel fairly confident that we can complete the ship and be ready for a launch in about five years. Five years seems like a long time to me."
You can watch the whole event here -
Both schizophrenics and people with a common personality type share similar brain patterns.
- A new study shows that people with a common personality type share brain activity with patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
- The study gives insight into how the brain activity associated with mental illnesses relates to brain activity in healthy individuals.
- This finding not only improves our understanding of how the brain works but may one day be applied to treatments.
It's a development that could one day lead to much better treatments for osteoporosis, joint damage, and bone fractures.
- Scientists have isolated skeletal stem cells in adult and fetal bones for the first time.
- These cells could one day help treat damaged bone and cartilage.
- The team was able to grow skeletal stem cells from cells found within liposuctioned fat.
Gut bacteria play an important role in how you feel and think and how well your body fights off disease. New research shows that exercise can give your gut bacteria a boost.
- Two studies from the University of Illinois show that gut bacteria can be changed by exercise alone.
- Our understanding of how gut bacteria impacts our overall health is an emerging field, and this research sheds light on the many different ways exercise affects your body.
- Exercising to improve your gut bacteria will prevent diseases and encourage brain health.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.