You Zuck'ed up: U.K. parliament calls Mark Zuckerberg to testify over Brexit data scandal
Is Mark Zuckerberg's libertarian data policy responsible for the single worst financial decision in the history of the United Kingdom? Parliament wants to know.
Under Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's supervision, Facebook has gone from cuddly social network to a data-mining platform that shadowy governments have used to control elections, influence populations, and generally do nefarious things to the more pliant end of the human species.
All this might not be news to any American who has cracked a newspaper or read a headline in the last year. After all, it was Facebook that Cambridge Analytica used to supply hyper-targeted data to the Donald Trump campaign, which many say gave POTUS 45 the edge to win. But it may come as a surprise to our American readers that Facebook was also used extensively to promote Brexit, the vote that removed Britain from the European Union and is projected to cripple the British economy.
Now, U.K. lawmakers in parliament are asking that Zuckerberg testify in front of them, either by his own accord or (and here's the really interesting part) by force next time he enters a British territory. They want him to tell them just what Facebook did to mitigate the data scandal and what it will do in the future to make sure it never happens again.
BREAKING: This is pretty extraordinary. Parliament issues ultimatum to Facebook. Either Mark Zuckerberg comes voluntarily. Or, he'll face a summons next time he enters British territory. Facebook really couldn't have handled this much worse... pic.twitter.com/VFyJrHXWel— Carole Cadwalladr (@carolecadwalla) May 1, 2018
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.