Writings on the Wall
New research has found that the ancestors of modern Scottish people left rock engravings that contain a written language from the Iron Age.
New research has found that the ancestors of modern Scottish people left rock engravings that contain a written language from the Iron Age. The stone carvings were thought to be rock art or related to heraldry, but the study found that the pictures represented the lost language of a group of Celtic tribes known as the Picts. The researchers "used a mathematical process known as Shannon entropy to study the order, direction, randomness and other characteristics of each engraving."
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
Some back story
A Dunbar Correlation
Professor Dunbar's response:
Friendship, kinship and limitations
Gray matter matters
There is an eclectic list of reasons why compassion may collapse, irrespective of sheer numbers:
In the end
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.