Will Facebook Go Public?
Once a company has 500 shareholders, it must register its private shares with the S.E.C. and publicly disclose its financial results. Is Facebook approaching the limit?
Facebook likes big numbers—it now has more than 500 million users, each one of whom can have as many as 5,000 friends. Yet as a privately held company, its ownership base must remain small, or it will have to disclose publicly its financial results. A surging shadow market in the privately held shares of Facebook is making such restraint difficult and could spur the company to go public—even as its executives try to tamp down speculation about an initial public offering—much as similar pressure helped push Microsoft and Google toward their own initial public offerings.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
Bushier eyebrows are associated with higher levels of narcissism, according to new research.
- Science has provided an excellent clue for identifying the narcissists among us.
- Eyebrows are crucial to recognizing identities.
- The study provides insight into how we process faces and our latent ability to detect toxic people.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.