Why Soccer Is the Best Sport Ever
Soccer, or football as it's known to the rest of the world, is truly a universal sport. Its popularity spans genders and continents, and in terms of equipment, it also has the lowest barrier to entry.
What's the Latest Development?
With the Summer Olympics approaching, we wonder which sports have stood the test of time, engaging the entire globe in friendly competition and comradeship. English sports columnist Patrick Barclay argues that soccer, known everywhere outside the US as football, is universal in every way. "Unlike basketball or weightlifting, it can be played to a high standard by people of every shape and size. It appeals to both sexes...and does not rely, like golf or tennis or equestrianism or most other sports, on pricey equipment or particular terrain. A scrap of wasteland and a ball fashioned from rags will do..."
What's the Big Idea?
While English journalist Matthew Engel takes the "know it when you see it" approach to defining sport, he argues that competition and exercise are essential components (ruling out professional wrestling because it's rigged and chess because its sedentary). After that, there are four categories of sport: races, fights, ball games competitive disciplines. Can we say one sport is better than another? Engel identifies accessibility as a primary virtue but concedes that "maybe in the end there is no best sport. If underwater hockey or reverse cricket or Greco-Roman wrestling rocks your boat...that’s all for the best."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.