Why Greece Should Default
The current European currency crisis is similar in ways to the subprime mortgage crash of 2008, says George Soros. But unfortunately, the Euro's troubles are even more intractable.
What's the Latest Development?
The severity of the European financial crisis is largely a result of a continent-wide political crisis, says billionaire hedge fund investor George Soros. The lack of a central European treasury has too often made state-by-state solutions to the crisis a day late and dollar short. "No concessional [borrowing] rates for Italy or Spain and no preparation for a possible default and defection from the eurozone by Greece" have made the crisis increasingly intractable. Added to that, the Germans have declared the European Financial Stability Facility to be unconstitutional.
What's the Big Idea?
Soros argues that a solution to the European debt crisis might include a Greek default and temporary exit from the eurozone. He outlines four guiding principles: "First, bank deposits have to be protected. ... Second, some banks in the defaulting countries have to be kept functioning in order to keep the economy from breaking down. Third, the European banking system would have to be recapitalized and put under European, as distinct from national, supervision. Fourth, the government bonds of the other deficit countries would have to be protected from contagion."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.