Why America Need Not Fear China
The U.S. may be in decline, but the fact that the U.S. asks that question so often is one of the reasons it has not declined. Americans have a strong impulse for course corrections.
The reality is that China is a mess. There is probably no society in the history of mankind (with the possible exception of Cambodia and maybe ancient Sparta on small scales) that has been subject to more massive attempts at utopian experiments in social engineering: mass starvations, forced abortion and infanticide policies, ideological 180-degree mid-air gainers on the status of wealth creation, massive persecution of its most promising cultural and political revitalization movements, stop-start monetary policy.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.