What's Behind America's Prudish War on Sex?
The fact that contraception is back on the national agenda astounds sex therapist Marty Klein. Yet the struggle for humane sex laws is also about our struggle for democracy.
What's the Latest Development?
The sexual conservatism that gained ground during the second Bush administration has not been liberated by Obama's policies. While abstinence-only programs are slowly being removed, some issues, such as birth control rights, have recently gotten worse—much worse, said sex therapist Marty Klein: "The fact that contraception is back on the public policy agenda is shocking, to say the least, and it represents an extraordinary victory in the war on abortion and in terms of a reconceptualization of what sexual health means."
What's the Big Idea?
American sexuality traces two distinct tracks, says Klein. In the public arena, policy on sexual issues is more conservative now than anytime in the past 25 years. In the bedroom, however, there is "more variety, more experimentation, more sex toys, more non-monogamy than ever before." Klein says the most dangerous aspect of the war on sex is not the erosion of humane sex laws but of democracy itself. When sexual desire is attacked on moral grounds, those who oppose more restrictive laws naturally feel hesitant to come forward and ask their legislators not to restrict, for example, adult shops and strip clubs.
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.