What Does "Masterpiece" Mean Today?
Is a Harley Davidson motorcycle a masterpiece? In an effort to buoy the mid-range art market, auction houses are expanding the definition, associating the term with luxury.
What's the Latest Development?
In an attempt to buoy the mid-range art market, the world's largest auction houses are changing what is meant by "a masterpiece." A new art fair in London is prepared to auction a Cartier necklace and custom-built Harley Davidson motorcycle alongside a painting of St. Augustine attributed to Caravaggio, all under the title of "masterpieces." "Masterpieces have always been important, but now we market them more aggressively," says Henry Wyndham, chairman of Sotheby's Europe. "Moreover, the public is better educated today, aiming for the best of the best."
What's the Big Idea?
The new definition of masterpiece, which is growing in dominance across the world of art collection, focuses on outstanding individual examples across categories rather than must-haves within a single category. "For critics, it aligns art directly with luxury, suggesting that what ultimately unites these objects is their availability only to the very wealthy." While this may evoke the contemporary style of collecting, there is a danger that it could become "an exercise in branding, with the word 'masterpiece' used to identify a highly saleable work rather than a work of outstanding quality."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- He saw the innovative potential of the online marketplace.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
It has found several bizarre planets outside of our solar system.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.