US Jobs Report Lifts Global Gloom
The latest US Jobs report diffuses concerns about America heading back in a recession.
Article written by guest writer Rin Mitchell
What’s the Latest Development?
The number of jobs the United States added in July gives a glimmer of hope that the U.S. economy is making a recovery. The 163,000 new jobs exceeds the expectations for many, as they were lowered when a previously released report under-delivered what many were expecting. In fact, it led many to believe America was on its way to join Europe in the recession. This new addition of jobs is good news, and economists believe the U.S. economy will pick up even more in the second half of the year. “While July’s job growth was not enough to bring the unemployment rate down – the rate actually ticked up from 8.2 percent in June to 8.3 percent – in the context of a global slowdown in economic activity, it was cheering.”
What’s the Big Idea?
A better-than-expected influx of jobs indicates that the U.S. will not be joining Europe in its recession. Previous economic data ignited concerns that the United States economy was slipping back into a recession. According to a poll the Washington Post had conducted, 79 percent of the participants believed the U.S. was still in a recession. The U.S. has been experiencing an economic slowdown during its recovery mode, and some expect a further slowdown. The 163,000 jobs are evidence that the economy is improving, yet “America’s plodding recovery will continue to poke along.”
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Groundbreaking neuroscience confirms what Sigmund Freud first theorized.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.