To Be or Not to Be?
Brendan Kiley looks at the history, meaning, and practice of suicide. "For most people, the subject is so taboo it's hard to deal with—even among people who deal with suicide for a living."
"Hanging is the most popular method of self-slaughter in the world and the second most popular in the United States, after firearms," writes Brendan Kiley, in his look at the history, meaning, and practice of suicide. "The world's most popular jump site is said to be Mount Mihara, a volcano on an island near Tokyo where a person can leap off the rim and directly into the lava. ... For most people, the subject is so taboo it's hard to deal with—even among people who deal with suicide for a living."
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
The controversy over whether Jesus had any siblings is reignited after an amazing new discovery of an ancient text.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.