The Real Crime: Waste
I eat out of bins too. So what? Freegans know the best use of leftover food is to eat it – why arrest a woman for picking up discarded waffles?
We all need to think again about food waste, of which the UK produces up to 20m tonnes a year. Every dumped meal represents unnecessary production, packaging, transport and refrigeration. If Britain buys unnecessary quantities of food in the global markets, it pushes up prices around the world. Of course it would be best if stores stopped overstocking, but waste is built into many shops' business models. If they want to offer an impression of abundance and freshness for every customer, even the last one of the day, they have to throw away the leftovers. I've eaten enough croissants from big supermarket chains' bins to know they aren't blameless.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- He was inspired by a statistic he learned while working at a hedge fund: In the '90s, web usage was growing at 2,300% a year.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.