The Price We Pay for Globalization
Capitalism has solved the need to keep wages low and consumption high by bringing future consumption into the present by dramatic extensions of credit.
Leading moral philosopher Alasdair MacIntyre addresses the failings of 'advanced modernity.' Apologists for globalisation, he argues, treat it as a source of benefits...MacIntyre maintains that the system must be understood in terms of its vices — in particular debt. The owners and managers of capital always want to keep wages and other costs as low as possible. 'But, insofar as they succeed, they create a recurrent problem for themselves...tension between the need to keep wages low and the need to keep consumption high.' Capitalism has solved this dilemma by bringing future consumption into the present by dramatic extension of credit.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.