The New Justice
CNN looks at a list of potential nominees to fill Justice Steven's seat on the Supreme Court including current Attorney General Eric Holder and Diane Wood.
CNN looks at a list of potential nominees to fill Justice Steven's seat on the Supreme Court including current Attorney General Eric Holder and Diane Wood. "President Obama on Friday received his second opportunity to shape the U.S. Supreme Court when Justice John Paul Stevens announced his retirement. The president named Justice Sonia Sotomayor to the court last year. In replacing Stevens, Obama likely will nominate a candidate that would maintain the court's ideological balance of five conservative to four liberal-leaning judges. Government sources said three candidates top an informal list at this early stage. They are Judge Diane Wood of the Illinois-based 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Solicitor General Elena Kagan and Judge Merrick Garland of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano also met privately with Obama last May before Sotomayor's selection and remains in the mix, sources said."
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
- Some are concerned about the proliferation of space debris in Earth's orbit.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.