The New Face of Classical Music
Gone are the days when classical artists could offer performances of Mozart and simply expect people to show up. Orchestras and presenters must be more entrepreneurial, more risk-ready.
To remain relevant, an art form has to be in dialogue with the here and now. Yet in classical music, the bulk of what is performed is still at least a century old. Contrast that with art museums, which present their holdings as a continuum from ancient times to the present, with nearly every major city boasting a contemporary art center and a host of galleries. ... In the last decade or so, a new breed of conservatory-trained musicians has reinvented crossover in unprecedented ways, fusing classical tradition with hip-hop, indie rock and world music and providing new, exciting audience bridges among these forms at the same time.
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.