The Moon Could Be the First Stop on the Way to Mars
NASA is considering the moon as a kind of galactic pit stop for astronauts to refuel before they go to Mars.
Could the moon act as a kind of space-faring pit stop on the way to Mars? Samantha Larson from The Smithsonian writes that NASA has considered a quick stop to the moon as a possibility to make the mission to Mars an easier one.
One of the many issues stalling the one-way mission to Mars is the question of fuel. The amount required to get there is tremendous, so one possible solution would be to outfit the moon as a kind of galactic gas station.
The issue would be convincing politicians that the moon is a worthwhile enterprise. As President [Barack] Obama made it clear in a 2010 speech that the moon has been done, "I just have to say pretty bluntly here, we've been there before." But William Gerstenmaier, the chief of human exploration at NASA, explained in an interview with the Houston Chronicle that the moon still has potential:
"If propellant was available from the moon, this could dramatically lower the mass needed from the Earth for a NASA Mars mission."
What's more, a pit stop on the moon could solve other problems regarding food and oxygen supplies.
"We have seen and done several studies that look at Mars missions as a logistics and resupply problem. These studies show that resources from the moon could be extremely beneficial for Mars missions."
Though, NASA may not have to convince the government to lead a moon mission. Neil deGrasse Tyson thinks that the “been there done that” missions may be better left to the private sectors to monetize and explore, leaving the unknown frontiers, like Mars, to government bodies:
Photo Credit: Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.