The Age of Live Stem-Cell Therapy
After years of controversy, a therapy based on human embryonic stem cells is finally being tested in humans. The treatment holds out hope to paralyzed people, but at how great a risk?
What's the Latest Development?
When Hans Keirstead, a biologist at the University of California, Irvine, rehabilitated paralyzed rats by injecting stem-cells into their spines, the medical world marveled at what the future might hold. Thirteen years later, a private biotechnology firm, after leasing Keirstead's medical patents, has made stem-cell treatments for paraplegics the core of its research. The F.D.A. has approved stem-cell treatment for spinal cord injuries in humans, albeit with a series of safety precautions. Still, some in the medical community say there is not yet enough research to justify testing on humans.
What's the Big Idea?
The road to stem-cell therapy has been a difficult one yet the technology remains truly revolutionary. Stem-cells are unique in that they can grow to become the tissue of any organ in the body. This has been a blessing and a curse for medical researchers. When injected with stem-cells, some damaged tissue has indeed recovered, but sometimes the stem-cells did not forget their original duty, to create an entire person. This has led to the development of tumors called teratomas that are composed of multi-organ tissues like teeth, bone and hair.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.