Right-Brain/Left-Brain is a Myth, Creativity Exists in Both Hemispheres
It turns out that creativity resides within your brain's left hemisphere as well. This was among the findings of a new study determining that creative impulses require activity throughout the entire brain.
An Indian study has reportedly succeeded in deconstructing the neural processes that lead to creativity. In doing so, the team of neuroscientists at the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences has also dispelled myths related to creativity and logic vis-à-vis the parts of the brain in which they reside.
Here's how the study was reported by Seetha Lakshmi of The Times of India:
"[They] found that a network of regions in both hemispheres of the brain is at work in a coordinated manner and that results in the Aha moment.
The five-year study also found that brain regions at work during creative moments are individually active during non-creative moments too. It rejects the popular myth that creativity is the preserve of the brain's right hemisphere."
Practical applications for the study's findings include the development of tasks and activities for children in order to develop the networks within their brains that will help them dream bigger.
Read more at Times of India
Photo credit: Radu Bercan / Shutterstock
For more on common brain myths, check out the following clip featuring Big Think expert Sam Wang:
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.