In Eastern Europe, "the open discussion of a tragedy represents a revolutionary change," writes Anne Applebaum of reaction to the plane crash Saturday that killed members of the Polish government.
In Eastern Europe, "the open discussion of a tragedy represents a revolutionary change," writes Anne Applebaum, referring to the Russian response to the tragic plane crash that killed many members of the Polish Government over the weekend. "Over the past 20 years, both Russian and Polish officials have begun to acquire the art of speaking with the public, even if they don't always choose to do so. This is a real change, and we have seen over the past few days what kind of impact it can have. "
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
- Climate change is no longer a financial problem, just a political one.
- Mitigating climate change by decarbonizing our economy would add trillions of dollars in new investments.
- Public attitudes toward climate change have shifted steadily in favor of action. Now it's up to elected leaders.
A new study shows that some men's reaction to sex is not what you'd expect, resulting in a condition previously observed in women.
A plan to forgive almost a trillion dollars in debt would solve the student loan debt crisis, but can it work?
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren has just proposed a bold education reform plan that would forgive billions in student debt.
- The plan would forgive the debt held by more than 30 million Americans.
- The debt forgiveness program is one part of a larger program to make higher education more accessible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.