Spaceship Factory Opens in California
The Spaceship Company, a joint-venture between Virgin Galactic and a California technology company, has opened the doors of a new facility to manufacture suborbital spaceships.
What's the Latest Development?
Space tourism meets the assembly line. In a joint venture between Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic and Scaled Composites, a technology company based in Mojave, California, the world's first spaceship factory is open for business. The Spaceship Company has completed the "68,000-square-foot LEED-certified building which will be primarily used to assemble, integrate and test SpaceShipTwo vehicles and their carrier WhiteKnight aircraft before they are delivered to customers, including Virgin Galactic." There is enough room for workers to build two spaceships simultaneously.
What's the Big Idea?
Virgin Galactic is the primary customer of the spaceships the Spaceship Company will build and the company is scheduled to begin commercial flights into low Earth orbit in 2012. It is a dramatic twist in the space travel story which, until now, has been dominated by government-funded projects. "Virgin's spaceships are based on the prize-winning prototype SpaceShipOne, which in 2004 clinch the $10 million Ansari X Prize for the first privately funded manned space flights." The commercial version of the ship has room for six passengers and two pilots. A ticket currently costs $200,000; 500 have already been sold.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- He was inspired by a statistic he learned while working at a hedge fund: In the '90s, web usage was growing at 2,300% a year.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.