Spaceship Factory Opens in California
The Spaceship Company, a joint-venture between Virgin Galactic and a California technology company, has opened the doors of a new facility to manufacture suborbital spaceships.
What's the Latest Development?
Space tourism meets the assembly line. In a joint venture between Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic and Scaled Composites, a technology company based in Mojave, California, the world's first spaceship factory is open for business. The Spaceship Company has completed the "68,000-square-foot LEED-certified building which will be primarily used to assemble, integrate and test SpaceShipTwo vehicles and their carrier WhiteKnight aircraft before they are delivered to customers, including Virgin Galactic." There is enough room for workers to build two spaceships simultaneously.
What's the Big Idea?
Virgin Galactic is the primary customer of the spaceships the Spaceship Company will build and the company is scheduled to begin commercial flights into low Earth orbit in 2012. It is a dramatic twist in the space travel story which, until now, has been dominated by government-funded projects. "Virgin's spaceships are based on the prize-winning prototype SpaceShipOne, which in 2004 clinch the $10 million Ansari X Prize for the first privately funded manned space flights." The commercial version of the ship has room for six passengers and two pilots. A ticket currently costs $200,000; 500 have already been sold.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
You can say 'no' to things, and you should. Do it like this.
- Give yourself permission to say "no" to things. Saying yes to everything is a fast way to burn out.
- Learn to say no in a way that keeps the door of opportunity open: No should never be a one-word answer. Say "No, but I could do this instead," or, "No, but let me connect you to someone who can help."
- If you really want to say yes but can't manage another commitment, try qualifiers like "yes, if," or "yes, after."
Three scientists publish a paper proving that Mercury, not Venus, is the closest planet to Earth.
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbor must be planet two or four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Three scientists ran the numbers. In this YouTube video, one of them explains why our nearest neighbor is... Mercury!
Neuroscience research suggests it might be time to rethink our ideas about when exactly a child becomes an adult.
- Research suggests that most human brains take about 25 years to develop, though these rates can vary among men and women, and among individuals.
- Although the human brain matures in size during adolescence, important developments within the prefrontal cortex and other regions still take pace well into one's 20s.
- The findings raise complex ethical questions about the way our criminal justice systems punishes criminals in their late teens and early 20s.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.