Russian Delays Renew Private Space Race
Another technical malfunction from the Russian space program has delayed a manned mission to the International Space Station. NASA desperately wants a private space rocket.
What's the Latest Development?
A manned mission to the International Space Station has been delayed a month and a half after a Russian Soyuz rocket experienced a technical malfunction. During a test of the craft, air pressure was accidentally pumped too high, so another rocket is being readied to replace it, with delays, of course. While NASA obviously trusts the Russian program it relies on to shuttle American astronauts to space, it is looking to the domestic private sector for an alternate solution. In 2012, NASA will spend $406 million funding private industry.
What's the Big Idea?
Commercial space taxis may be ready as early as 2017 but that depends on the funds available in the meantime. Tests of commercial spacecraft, however, are moving forward. This April, the California-based SpaceX will test launch its Dragon capsule, meant to facilitate manned missions. A couple other private companies, including one which has a NASA contract to resupply the ISS, are running rocket tests in the sub-orbital range, hoping to break the barrier into space later this year.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
A glass of juice has as much sugar, ounce for ounce, as a full-calorie soda. And those vitamins do almost nothing.
Quick: think back to childhood (if you've reached the scary clown you've gone too far). What did your parents or guardians give you to keep you quiet? If you're anything like most parents, it was juice. But here's the thing: juice is bad for you.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.