Robots Will Take Your Job
They might not know it yet, but some of the most educated workers in the nation are engaged in a fierce battle with machines. Doctors and lawyers beware. Here come the robots.
What's the Latest Development?
Artificial intelligence is getting closer to replacing high-skilled workers, a sector once thought to be beyond the reach of our technological abilities. "In the next decade, we'll see machines barge into areas of the economy that we'd never suspected possible—they'll be diagnosing your diseases, dispensing your medicine, handling your lawsuits, making fundamental scientific discoveries, and even writing stories just like this one." Following economic theory, higher productivity in these areas will drive down costs, benefiting society as a whole.
What's the Big Idea?
Just as the percentage of Americans working on farms dropped from 41 to 2 between 1900 and 2000, robots are on course to revolutionize our current labor market. Software developer Martin Ford was one of the first to write extensively about the coming changes: "There's no question that there will be new things in the future. But the assumption that economists are making is that those industries are going to be labor-intensive, that there are going to be lots of jobs there," Ford says. "But the fact is we don't see that anymore."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.