Richard Branson on Avoiding Start Up Mistakes
From making your pitch to knowing when to leave as C.E.O., Richard Branson looks at common mistakes entrepreneurs make and gives advice about how to avoid them.
What's the Latest Development?
Keep your pitch short and sweet, says serial entrepreneur Richard Branson. Start with Twitter and practice putting everything into just 140 characters, then expand it to 500 characters at most. Be realistic about the costs of starting a business—don't short change yourself or your vision. If someone picks up your idea, stay focused even if your business starts to draw attention. Taking decisive steps in the direction of your goal will prove smarter than sprinting in a thousand directions at once.
What's the Big Idea?
Branson knows a thing or two about starting businesses. For him, the most difficult point seems to be knowing when to hand over operations to a new company's management. Assuming you've hired a staff with experience in the industry, which means they understand the risks of opening a new company, you should trust them to make the right decisions. Avoid hiring family members and friends, says Branson. It may make the business run smoothly at first but if they don't work out, it will be difficult asking them to leave.
How do we combat the roots of these hateful forces?
- American Psychological Association sees a dubious and weak link between mental illness and mass shootings.
- Center for the study of Hate and Extremism has found preliminary evidence that political discourse is tied to hate crimes.
- Access to guns and violent history is still the number one statistically significant figure that predicts gun violence.
Some games are just for fun, others are for thought provoking statements on life, the universe, and everything.
- Video games are often dismissed as fun distractions, but some of them dive into deep issues.
- Through their interactive play elements, these games approach big issues intelligently and leave you both entertained and enlightened.
- These five games are certainly not the only games that cover these topics or do so well, but are a great starting point for somebody who wants to play something thought provoking.
The Amazon Rainforest is often called "the planet's lungs."
- For weeks, fires have been burning in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, likely started by farmers and ranchers.
- Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has blamed NGOs for starting the flames, offering no evidence to support the claim.
- There are small steps you can take to help curb deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, which produces about 20 percent of the world's oxygen.