Repairing Damaged Heart Tissue
The secret to "mending broken hearts" has been discovered by scientists examining ways of repairing damaged tissue after heart attacks by using proteins similar to insulin.
What's the Latest Development?
"Injecting proteins similar to insulin directly into the heart can cause damaged cells to repair themselves and begin regenerating again, researchers said. Tests on pigs showed that the dormant cells could begin regrowth following a 'regenerative medicine' treatment using certain growth factors—naturally occurring proteins which cells use to communicate with their environment. Experts from Liverpool John Moores University said the four-year study presented a 'significantly different' therapy to those currently being developed by scientists."
What's the Big Idea?
The new findings, produced with teams from Italy and Spain, could lead to simpler and more affordable treatments for heart attacks. "Dr Bernardo Nadal-Ginard, Director of LJMU Stem Cell & Regenerative Biology Unit, said approaches currently being pursued in clinical trials were 'time consuming' and 'expensive'. ... "In contrast, this new approach by LJMU could ultimately lead to a clinical myocardial regenerative therapy which is effective, simple, affordable, readily and widely available and easy to apply and compatible with the current clinical standard of cardiac care."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.