Private Space Taxi to Replace Retired Shuttles
The private space company Sierra Nevada has designed a spacecraft to take the place of NASA's recently retired shuttles, carrying astronauts to the ISS with greater efficiency.
What's the Latest Development?
The private space company Sierra Nevada has come a long way in developing a space taxi to carry astronauts to and from the International Space Station. Called the Dream Chaser, the design is based on a space vehicle developed by NASA in the 1980s called the HL-20. "We took it out of the NASA attic," said Mark Sirangelo, chairman of Sierra Nevada, at this year's 28th National Space Symposium. The Dream Chaser is designed to seat seven, just like the retired space shuttles it is meant to replace. Expectations are that the new vehicle will be a more efficient and cost effective way of getting astronauts to and from low-Earth orbit.
What's the Big Idea?
The Dream Chaser, one of several vehicles being designed to take astronauts to and from the ISS, is scheduled to begin full orbital flights by 2016. It and the other crafts "are being built with a combination of private investments and NASA funding, under a program that aims to foster the development of commercial spaceships to take the reins from the agency's recently retired space shuttle fleet." The growth of the private space industry is transforming what NASA does, from designing and launching space vehicles to becoming primarily a consumer of new space technology.
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.