Private Militia Vs. Peaceful Campaigners
George Monbiot asks: "Who threatens us most — peaceful campaigners or a private militia run by police chiefs?"
Who threatens us most — peaceful campaigners or a private militia run by police chiefs? This is what the head of a police unit set up to monitor domestic extremism said in 2009. "I’ve never said — and we don’t see — that any environmentalist is going to or has committed any violent acts." No one has yet produced a factual challenge to that conclusion. Yet every year a shadowy body spends most of its £5m ($8m) budget on countering a non-existent threat that officers call eco-terrorism. It looks to me like a state-sanctioned private militia, fighting public protest on behalf of corporations.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face"
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The ability to speak clearly, succinctly, and powerfully is easier than you think
The ability to communicate effectively can make or break a person's assessment of your intelligence, competence, and authenticity.
Once again, our circadian rhythm points the way.
- Seven individuals were locked inside a windowless, internetless room for 37 days.
- While at rest, they burned 130 more calories at 5 p.m. than at 5 a.m.
- Morning time again shown not to be the best time to eat.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.