Pakistan Refugee Crisis
One in eight people fled their homes in Northwest Pakistan in 2009 because of the war in Afghanistan; the area is a "human-rights free zone" according to a new report from Amnesty International.
One in eight people fled their homes in Northwest Pakistan in 2009 because of the war in Afghanistan; the area is a "human-rights free zone" according to a new report from Amnesty International. "Many of Amnesty's findings have been widely reported; few will surprise longtime Pakistan watchers," reports Al Jazeera. "Still, the report highlights the grim - and often overlooked - plight of civilians in the Fata. And it lays much of the blame on the Pakistani government's strategy for dealing with the Taliban, which has oscillated between heavy-handed military offensives and ineffective peace agreements that cement the Taliban's control."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- He was inspired by a statistic he learned while working at a hedge fund: In the '90s, web usage was growing at 2,300% a year.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.