Nokia, Microsoft Get Early Praise for Smartphone
Nokia has released a new smartphone which uses the Windows operating system. Its technical specifications and design have received positive reviews but is it too little too late?
What's the Latest Development?
Early this morning, Nokia unveiled two models of a new smartphone which runs Microsoft's operating system: The Lumia 710 and Lumia 800. The devices are receiving early compliments on their technical specifications as well as their design. Reviewers say that Microsoft's O.S. functions in a completely different way than the market's prevailing platforms: Apple's iPhone and Google's Android. The phones are aimed at mid-market consumers; while the 710 is substantially cheaper, both phones have a 1.4GHz processor.
What's the Big Idea?
Microsoft is reportedly showering Nokia with billions of dollars to use its operating system as both companies make what many consider a last attempt to enter the smartphone market. The Lumia's release comes three years after Apple's smartphone first debuted and while the devices can be pre-ordered in Europe, they will not arrive to the U.S. until next year. Nokia's choice of Stephen Elop, a former Microsoft executive, as its newest C.E.O. was controversial within the Finnish company.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Neuroscience research suggests it might be time to rethink our ideas about when exactly a child becomes an adult.
- Research suggests that most human brains take about 25 years to develop, though these rates can vary among men and women, and among individuals.
- Although the human brain matures in size during adolescence, important developments within the prefrontal cortex and other regions still take pace well into one's 20s.
- The findings raise complex ethical questions about the way our criminal justice systems punishes criminals in their late teens and early 20s.
Three scientists publish a paper proving that Mercury, not Venus, is the closest planet to Earth.
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbor must be planet two or four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Three scientists ran the numbers. In this YouTube video, one of them explains why our nearest neighbor is... Mercury!
A new method of growing mini-brains produces some startling results.
- Researchers find a new and inexpensive way to keep organoids growing for a year.
- Axons from the study's organoids attached themselves to embryonic mouse spinal cord cells.
- The mini-brains took control of muscles connected to the spinal cords.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.