Meet China's Next President, Xi Jinping
China's current Vice President and pig farmer during the cultural revolution, Xi Jinping is expected to replace current President Hu Jintao in October. Jinping is visiting the White House today.
What's the Latest Development?
The heir apparent to the Chinese presidency is visiting the White House today on the first leg of his visit to the US. Xi Jinping, who is currently vice-president, is widely expected to replace Hu Jintao in October. So who is Jinping? Mostly, he is a party insider with roots in the cultural revolution. "Although the party might not be ecstatic about Xi...his elevation will alienate the smallest number of elites." He has begun his US visit by praising economic ties while expressing caution over American military buildup in the South Pacific.
What's the Big Idea?
In his youth, Jinping was a member of the cultural revolution. He left Beijing for a pig farm in the backward province of Shaanxi, where he quickly became his village's party secretary. He slowly rose through the ranks of the Communist party, avoiding scandals that felled his contemporaries. But unlike the US, where candidates try to portray an outsider image, Jinping's long party history represents stability, an important quality in a country where social discontent is a threat to both the ruling party and economic growth.
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons/user: ASDFGH
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.