Meet China's Next President, Xi Jinping
China's current Vice President and pig farmer during the cultural revolution, Xi Jinping is expected to replace current President Hu Jintao in October. Jinping is visiting the White House today.
What's the Latest Development?
The heir apparent to the Chinese presidency is visiting the White House today on the first leg of his visit to the US. Xi Jinping, who is currently vice-president, is widely expected to replace Hu Jintao in October. So who is Jinping? Mostly, he is a party insider with roots in the cultural revolution. "Although the party might not be ecstatic about Xi...his elevation will alienate the smallest number of elites." He has begun his US visit by praising economic ties while expressing caution over American military buildup in the South Pacific.
What's the Big Idea?
In his youth, Jinping was a member of the cultural revolution. He left Beijing for a pig farm in the backward province of Shaanxi, where he quickly became his village's party secretary. He slowly rose through the ranks of the Communist party, avoiding scandals that felled his contemporaries. But unlike the US, where candidates try to portray an outsider image, Jinping's long party history represents stability, an important quality in a country where social discontent is a threat to both the ruling party and economic growth.
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons/user: ASDFGH
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.