Mars Mettle Test
Four men have agreed to be locked away in a steel container for 18 months in order to simulate a mission to Mars which will test the physical and mental stress of long spaceflight.
Four men have agreed to be locked away in a steel container for 18 months in order to simulate a mission to Mars which will test the physical and mental stress of long spaceflight. A Belgian, two Frenchmen and a Colombian-Italian have agreed to join an existing Russian crew for the Mars500 project which is due to start in May. The container will hold all the vitals required to sustain them over the year-and-a-half period such as food and water. After 250 locked away, the crew will be divided in tow, and three "cosmonauts" will be moved to a separate "spacecraft" in order to walk on the surface of Mars wearing specially adapted Russian Orlan spacesuits. "I think you've got to be a little bit crazy to undertake this venture, but it's a healthy craziness," said Diego Urbina, a 26-year-old electronic engineer from Italy. "I will definitely miss my family and friends, and Nature itself - all the things we take for granted here on Earth, such as the internet. And girls - that's something I'll definitely miss," he told BBC News. The Mars500 facility, which is located on the IBMP site in Moscow, comprises four sealed interconnected modules with a total interior volume of about 550 cubic metres and no windows.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A disturbing interview given by a KGB defector in 1984 describes America of today and outlines four stages of mass brainwashing used by the KGB.
- Bezmenov described this process as "a great brainwashing" which has four basic stages.
- The first stage is called "demoralization" which takes from 15 to 20 years to achieve.
- According to the former KGB agent, that is the minimum number of years it takes to re-educate one generation of students that is normally exposed to the ideology of its country.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.