It was a red letter day for women in the film industry yesterday as Kathryn Bigelow became the surprise first woman to win Best Director at the Oscars for “The Hurt Locker.”
It was a red letter day for women in the film industry yesterday as Kathryn Bigelow became the surprise first woman to win Best Director at the Oscars for "The Hurt Locker," a film about the Iraq War which also took the Best Picture and four other awards. Bigelow’s win was all the more impressive because her film, the story of an Army bomb disposal unit in Baghdad, was made for a modest $11 million, beating the $100 million blockbuster "Avatar", hotly tipped to win, and incidentally directed by Bigelow’s ex-husband James Cameron. Bigelow is only the fourth woman to have been nominated for a Best Director academy award in the Oscars’ 82-year history. Meanwhile another female triumph was won by Sandra Bullock, who scooped the Best Actress gong for her performance in "The Blind Side", just a day after winning the Raspberry Award for Worst Actress for her role in "All About Steve" - making her the first person to win both awards in the same weekend!
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.