Japan's TV Scent Technology
"Televisions which pump out the smells of cookery on screen could become reality after developments by scientists at Keio University in Tokyo."
"The researchers said it would release a candy floss smell when the image shows a fairground and can even emit the briny scent of the seaside when people look at their holiday photos.
The technique uses printers to spray small amounts of scent rather than ink. Dr Kenichi Okada, of Keio University, Tokyo, told New Scientist: 'We are using the ink-jet printer's ability to eject tiny pulses of material to achieve precise control.' Ink jet printers work when a pulse of current heats up a coil of wire and creates a bubble that forces a small amount of ink down a tube an onto the page at high speed."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.