Is the U.S. Too Democratic?
The problems facing the United States, from national debt to foreign policy, may be the result of having too many elections, according to economist Dambisa Moyo.
That bedrock of constitutional democracy—the election—may be handicapping the United States. "Not that democracy is a bad thing," economist Dambisa Moyo told PRI's The Takeaway. Many of the problems facing the country can be solved in a democratic framework. But the constant election cycle "means that governments do not have the opportunity to focus on structural, longer term problems like pensions, like infrastructure, like education," according to Moyo. "They're forced into myopia and to short-termism, and it's that that is actually causing this decline in economics."
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
"Earth" features about 30 of the biggest names in entertainment.
- Lil Dicky is a rapper and comedian who released his debut album in 2015.
- His new music video, "Earth," features artists such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheehan, Kevin Hart, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- All proceeds of the music video will go to environmental causes, Dicky said.
Some evidence attributes a certain neurological phenomenon to a near death experience.
Time of death is considered when a person has gone into cardiac arrest. This is the cessation of the electrical impulse that drive the heartbeat. As a result, the heart locks up. The moment the heart stops is considered time of death. But does death overtake our mind immediately afterward or does it slowly creep in?
- A forensic artist in Scotland has made a hyper realistic model of an ancient dog.
- It was based on the skull of a dog dug up in Orkney, Scotland, which lived and died 4,000 years ago.
- The model gives us a glimpse of some of the first dogs humans befriended.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.