Iraq Giving Financial Support to Syria
While other Arab states have downgraded ties with Syria, Iraq has moved in the opposite direction, hosting official visits, signing business pacts and offering political support.
What's the Latest Development?
After the Syrian government, under the leadership of autocrat Bashar al-Assad, began indiscriminately killing civilians in response to popular anti-government protests, Iraqi leaders publicly condemned the violence. But while the U.S. and other Arab states have called for Assad's resignation, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki speaks out against regime change and has taken steps to strengthen diplomatic and financial ties with Syria. Despite international outrage, the outcome of protests in Syria remain unclear.
What's the Big Idea?
Why is Iraq more eager than other Arab states—including Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and Turkey—to protect the Assad regime? "Middle Eastern experts note that Maliki—a Shiite Muslim who lived in exile in Syria for nearly 15 years—has strategic and sectarian reasons for avoiding a direct confrontation with Assad." Both states have Shiite majorities and instability in Syria could spill over into Iraq. Others believe Maliki's support for Syria originates in Iran, which has staked billions of dollars on the success of the Assad regime.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Neuroscience research suggests it might be time to rethink our ideas about when exactly a child becomes an adult.
- Research suggests that most human brains take about 25 years to develop, though these rates can vary among men and women, and among individuals.
- Although the human brain matures in size during adolescence, important developments within the prefrontal cortex and other regions still take pace well into one's 20s.
- The findings raise complex ethical questions about the way our criminal justice systems punishes criminals in their late teens and early 20s.
Three scientists publish a paper proving that Mercury, not Venus, is the closest planet to Earth.
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbor must be planet two or four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Three scientists ran the numbers. In this YouTube video, one of them explains why our nearest neighbor is... Mercury!
A new method of growing mini-brains produces some startling results.
- Researchers find a new and inexpensive way to keep organoids growing for a year.
- Axons from the study's organoids attached themselves to embryonic mouse spinal cord cells.
- The mini-brains took control of muscles connected to the spinal cords.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.