Investing in Africa
The G-8 should treat African development like an investment rather than a charity case, says the Christian Science Monitor. It may be an opportunity the industrialized world cannot afford to pass up.
The G-8 should treat African development like an investment rather than a charity case, says the Christian Science Monitor. It may be an opportunity the industrialized world cannot afford to pass up. "Once again, the Group of Eight industrialized economies invited African leaders to their meeting. Will they again let them down at the next one?...It’s embarrassing that the G8 fell short of its Africa promise when it has thrown so much money at banks. (Indeed, it pledged less on Friday toward global maternal and child care than expected.) The world could certainly do with another region booming right now, and the G8 should be doing all it can to encourage this one," says the Monitor's Editorial Board.
Entrepreneur and author Andrew Horn shares his rules for becoming an assured conversationalist.
- To avoid basing action on external validation, you need to find your "authentic voice" and use it.
- Finding your voice requires asking the right questions of yourself.
- There are 3-5 questions that you would generally want to ask people you are talking to.
Sarco assisted suicide pods come in three different styles, and allow you to die quickly and painlessly. They're even quite beautiful to look at.
Death: it happens to everyone (except, apparently, Keanu Reeves). But while the impoverished and lower-class people of the world die in the same ol' ways—cancer, heart disease, and so forth—the upper classes can choose hip and cool new ways to die. Now, there's an assisted-suicide pod so chic and so stylin' that peeps (young people still say peeps, right?) are calling it the "Tesla" of death... it's called... the Sarco!
Swiss researchers identify new dangers of modern cocaine.
- Cocaine cut with anti-worming adulterant levamisole may cause brain damage.
- Levamisole can thin out the prefrontal cortex and affect cognitive skills.
- Government health programs should encourage testing of cocaine for purity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.