"The big discovery has been that depressed patients who have proven most resistant to traditional treatments...seem to have particularly high rates of inflammation."
"The big discovery has been that depressed patients who have proven most resistant to traditional treatments seem to have particularly high rates of inflammation." "Inhibiting inflammatory cytokines ... seems to help alleviate depressive symptoms." "If this association holds, keeping inflammatory cytokines in check could also help treat conditions beyond classic depression, such as cancer-related fatigue or even chronic fatigue syndrome, Miller noted. And because much of the inflammation in question seems to be coming from outside of the brain...new depression-targeting drugs might not even have to cross the blood-brain barrier to have palliative effects."
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
Three scientists publish a paper proving that Mercury, not Venus, is the closest planet to Earth.
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbor must be planet two or four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.