In Germany, Bitcoin Is Now Legal Tender
The country became the first in the world to officially recognize the use of the virtual currency for legal and tax purposes.
What's the Latest Development?
On Monday, Germany's finance ministry brought Bitcoin one step closer to legitimacy by declaring it a "unit of account," thus allowing it to be used as legal currency for tax and trading purposes. Supporter and parliament member Frank Schaeffler says that classifying the virtual currency under the country's banking rules represents "a first step" towards denationalizing the production of money, and hopes that the government doesn't interfere with its success: "A free country should...not intervene in citizens' private choice of money."
What's the Big Idea?
As Bitcoin continues to grow in popularity, it's been attracting increased attention from government and financial institutions. The Thai government banned the currency last month, and in the US, both the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security are investigating it. Germany's ruling opens the way for officials to collect tax on commercial profits made through Bitcoin transactions, which FOREX.com research director Katherine Brooks says is "a good example of German forward-thinking...[Bitcoin] could become an alternative to the euro if the single currency ever ceased to exist."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.