In Germany, Bitcoin Is Now Legal Tender
The country became the first in the world to officially recognize the use of the virtual currency for legal and tax purposes.
Kecia Lynn has worked as a technical writer, editor, software developer, arts administrator, summer camp director, and television host. A graduate of Case Western Reserve University and the Iowa Writers' Workshop, she is currently living in Iowa City and working on her first novel.
What's the Latest Development?
On Monday, Germany's finance ministry brought Bitcoin one step closer to legitimacy by declaring it a "unit of account," thus allowing it to be used as legal currency for tax and trading purposes. Supporter and parliament member Frank Schaeffler says that classifying the virtual currency under the country's banking rules represents "a first step" towards denationalizing the production of money, and hopes that the government doesn't interfere with its success: "A free country should...not intervene in citizens' private choice of money."
What's the Big Idea?
As Bitcoin continues to grow in popularity, it's been attracting increased attention from government and financial institutions. The Thai government banned the currency last month, and in the US, both the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security are investigating it. Germany's ruling opens the way for officials to collect tax on commercial profits made through Bitcoin transactions, which FOREX.com research director Katherine Brooks says is "a good example of German forward-thinking...[Bitcoin] could become an alternative to the euro if the single currency ever ceased to exist."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.